Monday, July 23, 2012

Antique denim

Yesterday my friend Kipp Normand, who is an amazing artist, donated a couple of pairs of very old work jeans, which he found in a farmhouse in Northern Michigan, to my vintage garment research collection. I'm not sure of the date but judging from the details I would guess both pair are from the 1920's. The first pair are Big Mac cinch backs with a button fly. The seams are triple stitched and they are covered in period repairs. These jeans are absolutely amazing.
The second pair were manufactured by the Standard Overall Company of Baltimore. Despite missing part of one leg (which I suspect was used to patch another pair of jeans) these are another amazing example of early 20th century workwear. I especially love the back pockets which are slightly asymmetrical.

No comments:

Post a Comment